Savings & Checking
AFCU checking offers something for everyone —from simple and rewarding to even more rewarding.
Checking accounts with Arkansas Federal Credit Union are designed specifically with you in mind and include these benefits:
- Debit Card with no fees at over 5,000 ATMs
- Convenient access to funds 24/7
- A simple way to budget, pay bills and get paid
- Security of funds, protection against fraud
Rewards Checking. This is the smart choice for members who use a checking account to pay bills, track daily expenditures, have direct deposit and need a low opening balance, but still want to earn rewards good toward merchandise, gifts and travel. Privilege Pay* is one of the perks of Rewards Checking, covering payments that otherwise would not have been paid, saving you time, money and embarrassment.
- Earn 1 point for every $2 spent
- No monthly fee
- Free mobile deposit
- Free bill pay
- Privilege Pay*
- Free online statements**
- Overdraft protection***
- Free text alerts & fraud protection
Rewards Plus Checking.± Enjoy all of the benefits of the Rewards Checking account with the bonus of a dividend. Rewards Plus Checking is ideal for members who like to carry a higher balance and earn dividends while receiving rewards. You earn 1% APY on balances $2,500 – $24,999.≠
CURewards® points are points earned on your Visa® ATM/Debit or Credit card that can be redeemed for travel or merchandise. When you sign for a purchase on your Debit Card, you will earn 1 point for every 2 dollars spent. You can visit CUrewards.com to check your point balance, browse the CURewards Mall, or redeem points for merchandise, travel, or gift cards.
Get more from your AFCU membership
Being part of a non-profit, member-owned financial institution ensures you of the best offers on checking accounts and other services…all with friendly and personal assistance.
Here’s where you come in
Opening an AFCU checking account couldn’t be easier, so do it today!
If you are already a member with us, and you would like to add a checking account to your current membership you can do so by using our online application.
* Privilege Pay fees apply. ** $2 fee may be assessed for paper statements. ***Overdraft protection automatically transferred in $1 increments from other established AFCU account. ± A monthly fee of $12.50 applies if daily balance drops below $2,500. ≠ APY = Annual Perfentage Yield. $2,500 to earn dividends; balances from $2,500 to $24,999 earn a premium rate if transaction requirements are met. The monthly transaction requirement consists of completing 10 checking account transactions, defined as: ACH, direct deposit, bill pay, debit card (used as debit or credit), and checks. Fees could reduce earnings.
Your gateway to credit union membership is a Share Savings Account. With that account you'll have access to a wide variety of consumer-friendly savings, checking and investment accounts designed to maximize your credit union membership.
With an opening deposit of as little as $5, your Share Savings account makes you a member, and reflects your "owner's share" of the credit union. Once you become a member, members of your family are eligible to open an account too.
Special Savings Accounts
Our Special Savings Accounts make it easy to save money for virtually any reason (holiday shopping, summer vacation, special events, etc.).
|Account Types||Withdrawal(s)||Required Minimum Balance|
|Special Savings - LIMITED||One (1) per year||$25.00|
|Special Savings - UNLIMITED||Four (4) per month (There is a nominal charge for any additional withdrawals)||$25.00|
If you are looking for a high-yield investment account with the freedom to deposit and withdraw funds at your discretion, an AFCU Member Freedom Money Fund may be right for you. This tiered savings account offers you the ability to grow your dividend as your balance increases. With no minimum balance requirement* and free online banking, what more could you ask for?
* Member Freedom Money Fund must maintain at least $1,000 in the account each day to earn dividends.
Health Savings account (HSA)
Join the 1.00% club!
Is your high-deductible healthcare plan costing you more, but covering less? Does your healthcare plan qualify for a health savings account?
Healthcare costs are on the rise, so protect yourself against unexpected medical expenses by accumulating funds in a Health Savings Account (HSA).
HSAs are individual accounts which allow you to use pre-tax dollars to pay for future medical expenses and are designed specifically for individuals who have chosen a high-deductible health plan (HDHP). You can deduct your contributions, and the account earnings will accumulate on a tax-deferred basis. Distributions from your HSA are tax-free as long as they are used for a qualified medical expense as defined in IRS Publication 502.
An HSA account can be established by anyone who meets the following criteria:
- Currently has a qualified High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP)
- Has no other first-dollar medical coverage
- Is not enrolled in Medicare
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
- Could not have received Veteran’s Affairs medical benefits within the past 3 months
- Does not have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
To learn more, contact our Member Service Center at 501-982-1000 or toll free at 800-456-3000, or by visiting one of our convenient service center locations.