Christmas Tree Safety Tips
A decorated Christmas tree can make your home look lovely and festive during the holiday season. Did you know that live trees can also be a fire hazard, causing about $13 million worth of property damage each year? We’ve got a few tips to help you have a safe and happy holiday season.
- Safety starts with the tree you choose. Look for a healthy, bright green tree. One that is dried out or that drops needles at the slightest touch is a greater fire risk.
- After you’ve brought the tree home, choose where to place it carefully. We recommend picking a spot that is at least three feet from any radiators or other sources of heat.
- Keep the tree stand at the base of the trunk full of water. A well-hydrated tree will last longer and it will also be less of a fire hazard. Check the water at the base daily.
- Candles are another pretty way to decorate. Just make sure to keep them away from your tree and to only light them when you are in the same room!
- You’ll also want to be careful with the strings of lights around your tree. Choose lights designed for indoor use and unplug them before bed each night or before leaving your house.
The holidays are also a great time to review your homeowners’ insurance policy. Our agents are here to help if you have any questions about your coverage or need more advice when it comes to decorating safely. Give us a call today!